Here at Rosevale we are always trying out new recipe ideas! Here is where we will share with you our favourites
ROSEVALE RAINBOW LENTIL SALAD
1 cup Rosevale Lentils
2 cups stock or broth (I used the Nutra Organics Broth)
1 cup water
1 cup grated carrot (Approx 2 medium carrots)
1 cup grated beetroot (Approx 1 medium beetroot)
1/2 red onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup pine nuts
2 Tbspn fresh mint
1 tspn coconut oil
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/3 cup olive oil
1 Tbspn balsamic vinegar
1 Tbspn tamari
1 garlic clove, crushed
salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium saucepan place the lentils and 2 cups of stock or broth and 1 cup of water. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer cook for 15 min until tender. Cook so the lentils are still firm to touch, don't overcook as they will go mushy.
- While the lentils are cooking toast the pine nuts. Heat a small frying pan on a medium heat. Add the coconut oil and then the pine nuts cook for 2-3 minutes turning frequently until slightly golden. Remove and set aside on a paper towel while you prepare the rest of the salad.
- Once the lentils are cooked quickly rinse under cold water (you don't want to wash away the flavour from the stock) and drain then place in a salad bowl.
- Add the grated beetroot, carrot and chopped red onion to the salad bowl and toss.
- Top with the pine nuts and fresh mint, pour over the salad dressing, toss again. Add salt and pepper to taste.
SPROUTED ROSEVALE LENTIL BUDDA BOWLS
- 2 medium beets, peeled
- 2 medium carrots, peeled
- Half a red onion, peeled
- 25 green beans, topped and tailed
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ cup (115 grams) barley, rinsed (or sub another grain)
- 2 cups (475 ml) water, divided
- 2 cups (180 grams) sprouted Rosevale Lentils
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 1 ½ teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2 radishes, thinly sliced
- 2 slices of lemon, for serving
- A few grinds of pepper, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 200°C
- Cut the beets, carrots and red onion into more or less equal-sized chunks. Slice the green beans in two. Drizzle the vegetables with 2 teaspoons of oil and toss. Arrange on a baking sheet. I like to put the beets in a separate dish just in case they need a couple more minutes to roast. Roast the vegetables for 30-40 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile prepare the barley. Place the barley and 1 ½ cups (355 ml) of water in a small pan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and cover. Cook for 30 minutes or until tender. If there is any water remaining in the pot simply drain it off. Allow the barley to cool slightly then mix it with the sprouted lentils and ½ teaspoon of salt.
- Once the beets are roasted and cooled enough to touch, prepare the sauce. Combine 120 grams (4 oz) of the beets (about ½ a cup of beets) with the remaining ½ cup (120 ml) of water, ½ teaspoon of salt, the tahini, vinegar and garlic in a blender or food processor. Process until smooth.
- Make the bowls by dividing the barley-lentil mix between two bowls and topping with the roasted vegetables, sliced radishes, lemon slices and a few grinds of pepper. Serve the beet sauce on the side.
ROSEVALE LENTIL AND VEGETABLE LOAF
200g Rosevale Lentils
400ml vegetable broth
1 onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, chopped
1 spring onion, chopped
1/2 red capsicum, chopped
1 egg, beaten
Salt and pepper
Set oven to 180C
Place the lentils and broth in a saucepan and gently simmer and stir occasionally until the liquid is mostly absorbed and the lentils are soft, take off the heat and allow to sit for a while in the pan to soak up as much of the broth as possible.
Strain the lentils.
Whilst the lentils are cooking fry the vegetables until they start to turn golden.
Place the lentils, cooked vegetables and egg in a bowl and mix. Season with herbs and salt and pepper.
Pour the mixture into a lined loaf tin and bake at 180C for 40-50 minutes, until golden brown, allow to stand for 5 minutes, then turn out of the pan.
Serve sliced with salad or have on its own for a delicious snack.
ROSEVALE LENTIL, BEEF AND RED ALE STEW
1kg stewing beef, large chunks, trim off fat
2- 3 tbsp olive oil
2 onions, diced
2 celery stalks, cut into large chunks
2 cloves garlic, peeled and diced
2 sprigs fresh thyme
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
3 carrots, large diagonal discs
2 tbsp tomato purée
1 tbsp plain flour
Parsley, handful, chopped
150g Rosevale red lentils, uncooked
500ml beef bone broth
500ml Watsacowie Jazzy Red Ale
Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
Preheat an oven to 180°C, Season the meat. Heat two tablespoons of oil in a flameproof casserole over a high heat and brown the meat. Remove and set aside.
Adding more oil, sauté the onions, celery, garlic cloves and thyme, adding apple cider vinegar as the vegetables start to catch. Add carrots and sauté until slightly browned. Stir in butter and tomato purée for one minute before adding flour, stir to cook for two minutes.
Return the beef to the casserole, add parsley, bone broth, Rosevale red lentils and the Watsacowie Jazzy Red Ale. Bring the casserole just to the boil, cover and transfer to the preheated oven for one and three quarters hours, until the meat is tender, stirring halfway through.
Serve with mashed potato or pasta and crusty bread.
ROSEVALE LENTIL AND CHICKEN (MAN FLU HEALING) SOUP
2 tsp Olive oil or coconut oil
1 Onion, diced
4 cloves of garlic, sliced
1 carrot diced
2 celery stalks, diced
2cm piece of ginger, grated
1cm piece of turmeric, grated
500ml Chicken bone broth
1/2 a chicken cooked
2 tbs dry Chicken stock
1 cup of rosevale lentils
Can be served with noodles, or sour dough bread
I also added 2 scoops of nutria organics collagen beauty powder for and extra boost for gut health
Start by cooking off the celery, carrot, garlic, ginger, onion and turmeric.
Once soft and fragrant, add the bone broth, chicken stock, rosevale lentils and 500ml extra of boiling water. Simmer away until lentils are cooked.
Add your cooked noodles if using.
ROSEVALE LENTIL AND PEARL BARLEY SOUP
1 cup of Rosevale lentils
1 cup of pearl barley
4 cups of stock
1 table spoon of bone broth concentrate
2 carrots, sliced
1 stick of celery, sliced
1 onion, sliced
2-4 garlic cloves, sliced
Extra boiling water
Sauté the garlic and onion in a large pot, once soft, add all veggies, cook for 5mins. Add bone broth paste and stir, add stock, barley, and our rosevale lentils. Allow to simmer until lentils and barley are soft. Add the extra water if needed. Enjoy!
You could add meat to this too or any other vegetables that are in the fridge!
ROSEVALE LENTIL, SHREDDED CHICKEN AND SPINACH SOUP
* 1 tsp olive oil
* 1 white onion
* 2 cloves of garlic
* 2 sticks of celery
* 1 small bunch of fresh coriander
* 1 tsp turmeric
* 1 tsp ground cumin
* 80g spinach
* 2 medium (about 450g) sweet potatoes
* 6 large vine tomatoes, (about 300g), roughly chopped
* 320g red lentils
* 1 litre organic vegetable stock
* 4 tbsp natural yogurt * Crusty bread to serve. * shredded cooked chicken Method: Place a large pan on a medium heat, along with a little oil. Peel the onion and garlic, then roughly chop with the celery and add to the pan. Finely chop the coriander stalks and throw them in too, then cook for 8-10 minutes, or until soft and golden, then add the spices and keep cooking for a further couple of minutes, stirring until combined and smelling lovely.
Meanwhile, peel the potatoes and roughly chop them, as well as the tomatoes. Add both to the pan, along with the lentils and vegetable stock. Bring to the boil and then turn down to simmer for 25-30 mins, until the potatoes are soft and the soup has thickened (feel free to add more water if you feel it needs it). Stir through the spinach if using, then season with salt and pepper. Now you can blitz up the soup, keep it chunky, or take out a few ladlefuls and blitz that then add it back to the chunky mix to create a mix of textures.
Serve up into bowls with the cooked shredded chicken, a dollop of natural yoghurt, top with the picked coriander leaves and serve with some crusty bread